Tuesday, April 21, 2009

eyes

the eyes tell the story the voice
cannot give rise to
for to speak the words aloud
would destroy the world we have built
so carefully
with our breath
with our tears
with the too few traces we have left
on each others' skin
fingerprints untraceable now
vanishing with the seconds, minutes, days
of the time we have not spent together

the eyes gift the truth of my heart to you
when my voice is paralyzed with grief and joy
and the hundred things I want to tell you
the words themselves damn up the river
of my story forcing me to swallow
the precious drops
until I am drowned
in my own life

the eyes grow heavy with the toil of silence
as we live together and apart
filling space with our bodies
while our minds drift on another plain
seeking the comfort of each other's touch
a breath
a tear
a touch
dreamt of and longed for
but so long in coming

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to drown in your own life
    Let loose the levees and allow
    Your waters wash me clean of
    The dust of the distance between us

    Hydrate my mind with the images
    You strive to protect me from
    Your eyes have already let me in

    Dreamt and longed for
    So long in coming
    Soon to breathe, to touch

    Tasting mingled tears as
    They stream and dance
    Where joy and longing collide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful piece with many underlying thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. D - you wrote my heart once again.

    ReplyDelete